Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Whatever Wednesday.....Supplements

Happy Wednesday Peeps!

The most glorious thing happened yesterday....the temperature dropped and it rained!!!!!  Yes, RAIN!  It's pretty sad when you are pumped that it is only 90 degrees outside.  Granted, the rain wasn't enough to settle the dust on the ground, but still it was cooler and cloudy which was magnificent.  This morning it's cloudy again and I hear thunder.....some rain is a comin' our way!  WOO HOOOO, LET IT POUR!!!!!!! 

On to supplements!! 

Some of you may be asking, "Gee Ang, you seem so strong and are such a hard worker-out-er, how do you do it?", hehe.  I thought I would share what works for me as far as supplements. 

I used to never use supplements.  To me, supplements were for like big ol' body builders or something, not for just lil ol' me.  For basketball workouts, back in my day, it was old school.  You had your own, reusable water bottle, not an Aquafina, Dasani or Smart Water bottle, a plastic one with the little spout on the top, bottle.....and you filled it up at the sink or water fountain.  ~GASP~, I know!  Those were the days before pre-packaged water and all this supplement-o-rama. 

The water bottle luxury came in college, at my tiny high school, we all had to take turns going to the water fountain at the gym lobby for a drink during practice.  Like OMG, can you imagine?  LOL!  Kids these days don't know how good they have it....with managers that have a towel and water ready for them at their beckon call.

I digress.........

Back to supplements!

I am now a huge fan of protein.  I use one called Anapure, one scoop is 118 calories, and I get it at Absolute Nutrition in Tulsa.  This protein, I believe, is specific to this shop only.  Hence, you can't buy it elsewhere.  Chocolate is the way to go......I tried the Vanilla once and it was AWFUL....like I don't know how it could taste that bad, bluck!



A girl I work with just shared a few scoops of her protein with me and it was delishhhh.  It's called Dymatize and it's cheaper than my Anapure....and one scoop is only 125 calories.  I'm definitely going to try it when I run out. 


My pre-workout supplement of choice is something with Nitric Oxide.  It dilates your blood vessels allowing more oxygen in your bloodstream, but it makes me feel like it is Ritalin or Adderall for my workout.  It makes me focus and push so much harder.  Both of these are pretty much the same, and come from GNC.   



Lately, I have read a lot about another supplement, beta alanine.  I've heard that it significantly offsets or delays fatigue and muscle soreness.  Anyone out there use beta alanine??

Usually, post workout, I try to eat a balanced meal or "good"snack within about 30 minutes.  If I'm not going straight home, I try to throw a snack in my purse. 

My new favorite snacky snack is the Stinger Waffle.   A guy at work buys these by the case and shared one with me.  The honey one is DELISHIOUSSSS-ness.  There is new flavor, vanilla...haven't tried it yet, but if it's like the honey, I bet it's good.    It is all natural and 160 calories.  The waffle is Lance Armstrong's snack of choice when he's on the bike.....I mean it has to be good if Lance likes it, right?!

Click here for their website and to find a retail dealer.  I got mine locally at a running shop called Tulsa Runner.     



What supplements do you like?   Do you even like supplements? 


Until next time, peace out!  

2 comments:

  1. I have tried beta alanine, and sometimes I think it works and sometimes I don't. Maybe it's just a placebo effect for me?

    I love the taste of those honey stingers but I think I'm finding that sugar and activity and my body are mortal enemies.

    But I do the same after a workout...have a "good" snack. I usually try to make it high in protein and low in carbs, so usually half of a Pure Protein shake.

    Oh, and also...hello! Not sure if I'm commented on your blog yet or just randomly stalk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drink HydroWhey, it's low calorie and most importantly low sugar. Vanilla is da bomb.

    Other than that, nada.

    Oh, and banana's help pre-workout. Something about the potassium.

    ReplyDelete